Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Aldi experience- A must read!

Aldi Grand Opening




As most of you know, i am a loyal Kroger shopper and not much could drag me away from that. I usually have 1 rule when shopping for groceries and that is, the store must accept coupons. I never enter a grocery without my coupon binder.
This morning i attended the Grand Opening of Aldi on Emory Rd. in Knoxville. I had never shopped Aldi before and was excited to see how they compared to other retailers, especially since they do not accept coupons. 

Wow! Upon entering the store , even though it seems small at first, i was impressed with the variety they offered and especially the prices. Where else could you find egg's for only $0.69 per dozen? 



I was impressed with the staff as well. The General Manager  was very informative, knowledgeable and helpful as i ask questions and walked through the store, as were the other employee's. I loved the overall layout and look of the store also. 
Aldi challenges customers to switch from National brands to its exclusive brands to see how they can save up to 50 %. 

A few of the major price comparisons i found just upon a quick walk through were of course, the egg's. At $0.69 cents per dozen, that is a normal savings for me of $0.40 or more each and considering that in my family we average 3 dozen or more egg's per week, that is a savings of $62.40 per year just on egg's. 

In the produce section i found Mushrooms for $0.79 per carton, i usually pay $1.99 per carton at other store's, and buy 2 carton's per week, that saves me another $128.80 per year. apples were $2.99 per bag, i normally buy 1 bag a week at $4.49, that is yet another $78.00 per year. 
Our Wrestling team goes through many bags of Bagels per week, i cannot say an exact number because it varies by how many matches we have each week, but i can say that on average we will now save $1.00 per bag of Bagels, and when you are on a limited budget to feed a bunch of hungry boys who are in such an intense sport and need the calories, that makes a huge difference.

I also sampled many of the products Aldi had and was surprised to find they taste as god as National brands, especially the 100 calories snacks!

The prices on the paper goods, pet food and household items as well were very competitive and i will be purchasing some of those also.

The new Aldi store on Emory Rd. will from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m. Monday -Saturday and 10 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Sunday.
Aldi has more than 1,200 stores located in 32 U.S. States. I am told they hope to expand in our area to the Oak ridge market in the near future.
I will be going back to Aldi this afternoon, armed with a shopping list and cannot wait to see my savings and share more with you!

14 comments :

  1. Thanks, i was not aware they were opening a store so close to me, i need to check it out, have never been myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not even realize that there was a store less than five minutes away i need to stop there first and visit to see what they have. Great post!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been in Aldi because of the no coupon policy. But I will now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have an Aldi's going up in our area and you post has me anticipating it opening a lot more. I hope they give H.E.B. a run for their money!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article!! I wish we had a Aldi's here!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need one in Montgomery, Prattville, and Millbrook Alabama PLEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the one by my house they have everything you can thing of even wine lol. I agree its so much cheaper than even Walmart

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish there were some in my neck of the woods! .69 of Eggs!?! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up shopping at ALDis , they had one down the street from where I lived in Illinois..That is where we would get our canned soda they had like 20 diff kinds I loved trying them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats nice for a discount store! Ours is really YUCKY here. I hope we get an Aldi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss having an Aldi store! I am back home in Texas now but when I lived in Ohio, I always shopped there for produce - they have fab deals on produce! Happy you found a new savings opportunity that can help for items that you don't have coupons to use.

    Brenda W.

    ReplyDelete
  12. though we dont have the ALDI store im sure its a woderful store

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love Aldi, and wish so much that there was one here in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love aldis!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Loving the review! I wish we had aldi's on every corner. Its my go to place for vegetables, eggs, milk and their chocolate whole hazel nut bars!! Oh, and bonus! They sometimes have clearance sections.

    ReplyDelete